Thursday, August 20, 2009

Book Review: The Time-Traveler's Wife

I've always been a sucker for a time travel story. I had been meaning to try this book for a while when I saw a preview for the movie, and I said to myself, "I have to read that book!"

If anyone tries to tell you that this book is sci-fi, don't listen. It's not even close. Thankfully, I'm also a sucker for a good romance, and that's precisely what this book is.

Audrey Niffenegger wrote a love story about the life of a man and a woman. It just so happens that one of them happens to travel through time. Throughout Clare and Henry's life and love, they have to cope with his "disorder," and they have to learn to overcome the difficulties that result from a man who disappears every once in a while.

Something I don't understand in our world is how something can become so detested after it reaches a certain level of popularity. I've read a number of reviews for this book now that I've finished it, and a surprising number of them are negative. This isn't one of those reviews.

I found the story beautiful and poignant. The characters were created to a fantastical ideal, but it worked in the story to the point where it was believable, and not at all outrageous. I believe, at times, that these characters acted how real people would act in an unbelievable situation.

I was able to see past the obvious paradoxes of time travel. Perhaps a more discerning mind would have a problem with that, but I didn't feel like I needed any more explanation of how everything worked without the world ending. It worked because it worked. I was sucked into the story of Clare and Henry. It was emotional and I was emotional. I loved it.

1 comment:

Mandy Marksteiner said...

That's a really good point how things start to be despised once they get really popular. I wonder if people don't want to admit to liking something popular because they fear looking like followers.